THE RED GAMBIT SERIES

Author Colin Gee

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Could there be some graphics of the Jaguar and Panther Felix tanks?

Keith Lange

I'd like to see what they look like. Also, how common is the Felix among the Aliied forces, and in what ways does it differ from the standard Panther series?

June 3, 2015 at 3:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

[email protected]
Site Owner

I will be doing a Felix and jaguar graphic, so I wont say any more. We will see a few felix but not too many.

--

June 3, 2015 at 7:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Keith Lange

[email protected] at June 3, 2015 at 7:26 AM

I will be doing a Felix and jaguar graphic, so I wont say any more. We will see a few felix but not too many.

So the Felixes are basically limited to the French?

June 3, 2015 at 7:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[email protected]
Site Owner

french and legion pretty much :-) You might find some finding their way to south americans along the way.

--

June 4, 2015 at 5:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Keith Lange

[email protected] at June 4, 2015 at 5:03 AM

french and legion pretty much :-) You might find some finding their way to south americans along the way.

Along with other French weaponry?

June 4, 2015 at 8:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

[email protected]
Site Owner

Not even thought about that yet keith :-)

--

June 4, 2015 at 7:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Keith Lange

Do the Felixes stll have the Maybach engines?

June 5, 2015 at 1:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

[email protected]
Site Owner

i cant remember what i decided now, and i dont have my notes to hand. Something tells me that they have the french built version but i also tried an original french engine without luck. I simply cant remember at the moment

--

June 5, 2015 at 4:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Keith Lange

[email protected] at June 5, 2015 at 4:29 AM

i cant remember what i decided now, and i dont have my notes to hand. Something tells me that they have the french built version but i also tried an original french engine without luck. I simply cant remember at the moment

Just out of curiosity, what machine guns do you think the Felix had? I don't see them as having the MG 34, because the French in the RG universe didn't manufacture them, and the MG 42 was apparently not very suitable for co ax or hull use, the Germans never having used them in that manner. So I was thinking that they probably had either the 7.5mm MAC 31, which was also mounted in the ARL 44 and Hotchkiss 35 tanks, or Browning .30s. What do you think? PS, thanks for taking the time to answer my various questions.

June 6, 2015 at 4:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[email protected]
Site Owner

the jagdtiger did sometimes have an mg42 hull mounted from what I understand. Im thinking .30cal and MAC are most likely, based on availability.

--

June 7, 2015 at 4:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cawest

i think a 7.62 is a bit ligth. the 42 had a very high fire rate but not much stopping power. So troops in the open yep. half trak, T-70 or Bren carrie not so much. When the BTR's 152's and the armored cars like the BTR 50 come on line you need something with more power like a 12.7 or i think 20mm. you can have a HE and AP rounds or the 20mm. as any one thougth about twin coax weapons? you have to fight human wave attacks so you need rounds down range canister is the best weapon. not just becuase of the steal shot but because of the shock and awe factor.

June 8, 2015 at 3:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[email protected]
Site Owner

Indeedy, one reason why i invented a canister round for the 17pdr [as used by Charles and the Grenadiers in Nrthern Germany]. low stopping power or not, lots of nullets ariving together have a stopping power of of its own methinks.

the main usse i believe is how much gun is inside the tank. Im sure the ma deuce would have made an excellent weapon as hull mg, except that the body simply excluded it from being used imternally.

The besa had a good rep as a hull mg, but the existing 30cals on Shermans et all would probably stay, if only because of the palaver removing them, remounting, and then issuing new weapons.

--

June 9, 2015 at 4:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cawest

my issue with hull mount guns is that it makes the tank harder to make, it limits the armor thickness on the bow, and the amount of space it takes up inside the tank that already has a space issue. reducing the to a four man crew also helps. with the space.

June 10, 2015 at 11:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

[email protected]
Site Owner

Point taken. However, the Ferdinand was produced without, but after Kursk was remodelled to take a bow MG. Bitter experience showed it to be vulnerable. Fender mounted weapons, or seperate turretted weapons make more sense as they dont compromise the glacis, but add to production time and complication. Guess the majority opinion was to continue with glacis mounts, given that WW2 tanks pretty much universally had them [excepy IS series and a lot of TDs]. There are exceptions of course. butthe rule was generally hull MG.

--

June 11, 2015 at 3:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Keith Lange

[email protected] at June 7, 2015 at 4:44 AM

the jagdtiger did sometimes have an mg42 hull mounted from what I understand. Im thinking .30cal and MAC are most likely, based on availability.

How about the Felixes having the MAC, while the French Jaguars having the .30? It was a idea that recently occured to me.

July 13, 2015 at 4:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

[email protected]
Site Owner

I will give it some thought :-)

--

July 13, 2015 at 4:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Keith Lange

[email protected] at June 3, 2015 at 7:26 AM

Will the Felix have the same type of Mayback engline as the original Panther? Also, would their turrent be a different design?

December 24, 2016 at 3:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Keith Lange

Keith Lange at July 13, 2015 at 4:08 AM

[email protected] at June 7, 2015 at 4:44 AM

How about the Felixes having the MAC, while the French Jaguars having the .30? It was a idea that recently occured to me.

Or will the French Jaguars have German machine guns instead?

December 28, 2016 at 11:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

[email protected]
Site Owner
lots of 34s available :-)
--

December 29, 2016 at 3:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Keith Lange

[email protected] at December 29, 2016 at 3:19 AM

lots of 34s available :-)

I was wondering if there was any differences between the French made Jaguars and the German manufactured ones. In the Legion's table of AFVs, you kept the two separate. Do the French still have Shermans? Also, have you decided on what type of machine guns the French Jaguars and Panther Felixes have?

December 29, 2016 at 10:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

go back to the top